Sunday, 20 March 2011

National Army Museum - WIves and Sweethearts.

I went to the National Army Museum yesterday to do some research for my personal project, 'Grandmothers'. One of the women in my project lost her husband in the First World War and the 'Wives and Sweethearts' exhibition was about the relationships between soldiers and their wives at home. The exhibition was quite good, but I was hoping there would be more visual things rather than letters and diaries. It gave me an insight into how some women coped with having husbands serving abroad, but not really what my Great Grandmother would've felt like. I think its because I know more about her life and that they didn't have a whirlwind romance. Anyway, I took some photos from the World Wars section.

Saturday, 19 March 2011


Yesterday was the deadline and crit for the External Project. It was nice to see what everyone had come up with for the Hobbs and the APN briefs. These are my final images, although there are some I would've liked to work on a little more, I'm pretty happy with them as a set. Also now its really nice to only have one project to focus on for the first time this year!
And these are the swing tags.

Tuesday, 8 March 2011


Rough Ideas for clothing labels again. The brand's logo will be on the black section at the bottom.
I've been working on compositions for the final images but I think I want to keep them really simple like the ones above, but have the shoes on some feet and legs rather than standing alone. I tried out some ideas for more complex compoisitions in ink but I didn't like them when I did them in acrylics. I was thinking that a more comples composition would help me to figure out how I'm going to make the images appeal to the right audience, but instead of going overboard with that and becoming too literal, I think I'm going to use the posture and pose of the feet and legs to hint at the type of woman who wears these shoes.

Sunday, 6 March 2011


At the moment I'm trying to figure out the final compositions. I've deided I want to use a mixture of collage and acryic so I'm playing around with colour an negative space.

Thursday, 3 March 2011


Some experiments with Acrylic paint. I've been finding it difficult to translate pencil drawings into colour, whilst keeping the detail. After trying out coloured pencil and watercolour, I think I've decided that Acrylic works best. I also like the pastel coloured backgrounds as they help the continuity of the images.


Some sketchbook experiments with silhouettes. Thinking about the best way to display the shoes simply using block colour with spots of detail.