Friday, 6 March 2009

Drawings on travellers

What interests me most about the idea of a travelling community is the togetherness they must experience and the fact that the people within these societies are constantly around eachother. I don't think I could ever be a part of this type of society on a day to day basis as, although I get bored very easily of places, I also get bored of the people sometimes and having my own space and time is important.
It's fascinating that nomadic communities also manage to contain all their belongings in one movable home that houses the "things" of a whole family in a space about half the size of my bedroom. On one level it makes me feel disappointed in myself that I need so much stuff to feel happy and at home, and that I consider a lot of the objects that I surround myself with to be a part of my personality. I've never had the pleasure of meeting a member of a nomadic group but I would like to think that they base their lives and characteristics on things considerably less material than I do. For these people the caravan or home they travel around in must be integral to their lives whereas for me the things I put into the places I live are what makes it impotant.




No comments: